Friday, March 2, 2012

Oh, how I do love surprises.

Dear Mr. Hodgkin's,

It's safe to say you have new surprises for me each week...how thoughtful.  I must say you are a very complex man with plenty of conniving tricks up your sleeve.  So grateful to be on the receiving end of your charities (I'll be sorely disappointed if you miss the heavy sarcasm).  The first curveball was twisting chemo's efforts to your advantage and lowering my white blood cell count so low that I should be in something called "reverse isolation."  I can see you find this very funny.  Well, sir, 80% of people do not deal with side-effects from WBC injections I've been subjected to.  But like I said before, my luck is not the greatest.  Not only did I have side-effects, but I had them so bad, tylenol was to no relief.  What was my reaction?  I dealt with something called "bone pain."

Sounds made-up, right?  Well, after experiencing such discomfort, it is very clear how real of a thing it actually is.  Care for some education in this correspondence, sir?  I learned that each injection stimulated my bone marrow to release more white blood cells.  In the process, my bone marrow freaked.  It sent shooting pains throughout my lower back; so much so, that it caused my body to twitch almost like a ripple effect all the way up to my shoulders.  Do you realize how scary that was?  I walked into my parents' house one night just bawling because, for the first time in my life, I could not control what my body was doing.  Man, am I glad that night is over.  Thankfully, the next day I went to my doctor to get my second shot for that week, and she assured me that side-effect lasts only for 24 hours and relieved me further by prescribing Vicodin.  With this lovely drug, my parents' gifting of a heating pad, and patience (which I do not necessarily have a lot of), that 24 hours came and went.  Just like everything else in this world, right?  There's a bit of free wisdom for you, sucka.

Because my WBC count is so low, my doctor (and my concerned nurse friends) have strongly advised me to wash my hands often, stay away from public places, and take care of my personal hygiene.  Okay, wash my hands: check.  Stay away from public places: not going to happen (StrengthsFinder says, as a Woo, it's engrained in my very being to surround myself with many people in a variety of places - including those that are public.  Sorry, I can't change how I'm wired).  And take care of my personal hygiene: this may be quite the challenge.  Let me enlighten you on my showering habits (my mom is going to be mortified... but my sister equally proud).  I'll be direct: I hate to shower.  It's nothing but a waste of time.  Sure, I do it (for the sake of others), but there are many a times I go without.  Let me share a story: 

When I played volleyball at Northwestern College, we would often travel on weekends to play at our competitors' universities.  I remember one weekend in particular where we had a game Friday night, then another Saturday morning, and a final match Saturday late afernoon.  After each game, our team would hit the showers... well, not every player.  Meaning, not myself.  After the Friday night game, I told my team, "Why shower tonight?  We'll just sweat again in the morning."  Many of them nodded in agreement with my logic (for some puzzling reason though, they still showered).  I would instead hop on the bus, pull out my iPod, and start doing my homework.  After the Saturday morning match, my team and then my coach prodded, "Heidi, don't you think you should probably shower now?"  But my logic still stands: why shower if I'm going to get sweaty in just a few hours?  After the last game, I'll admit, cold sweat was caked onto my skin, but that's nothing compared to the amount of homework I had already finished, and thus, the extra sleep I got that night!  Time well spent... obviously.  As my doctor would state, "The benefits far outweigh the risk."  Applicable here too, I'd say.

Going back, my last shot was Wednesday, and I've been prancing around like none other... but then, something delightful happened (surely you have picked up on my sarcastic humor by now).  I was brushing my hair after a shower (see, I still do it), and as I set my brush down on the vanity, I saw it had caught more red hair than normal.  Interesting...  I shrugged it off and went through with the rest of the day.  However, the next morning, I once again combed my hair, and to my dread, my brush was again filled with quite a few strands.  Things started to click and I realized what was happening.  Sure, I had heard of others undergoing chemo who have mourned the loss of their hair, but I had also heard of others testifying how this was not their case.  Us redheads are pretty resilient and stubborn, so I assumed I would be in the category of the latter.  Hmm, oops.  Sir, I know it's unnoticeable to others right now, but I also know it's just a matter of time.  Gulp. 

I can deal with the pain, but this?  This is a completely different beast, Mr. Hodgkin's.  This may be vain, but I'm just like any other 23-year-old girl (soon to be 24... March 15!) who values what her hair brings to the table.  I understand this is a temporary thing (my hair should grow back completely 6 months after treatment), but... eh.  You are a boy, so you probably won't understand, but I'll try to share what's so important about hair... my hair in particular:  1) I just care to look nice, sir.  2) It's fun for me to wear my hair in girlish braids when running to the nearest coffee shop or rocking a messy bun on the top of my head when I throw on the sweats at night.  3) Some peeps call me, "Red"...now that I think about it... it could be because of my skin tone.  Okay, if so, that's obnoxious.  4) And someday, I want to attract the right man who will be my husband (and I was sure the red hair would be the ticket).  5) Having hair is just plain normal.  I wish I could explain it better, but mister, I appreciate my hair and I'm sad at you for messing with it.  Upset at chemo for her plans to rid me of it. 

Before I sign off, I will have you know I woke up this morning just as displeased as ever.  The reality of this loss further sinking in.  So here is what I did: put my Kari Jobe album on shuffle, pulled out my Bible, and sought the Lord in this place I'm finding myself in.  Why, you ask?  Like Peter says in John 6, who else would I turn to?  For my God is the only One who has the words that give eternal life.  Psalm 68:19 tells me my Savior "daily bears my burdens."  So today, when I'm feeling so devastated by losing something that others may see as trivial, my God takes on that weight as if it was His own.  And that understanding, that compassion, my friend, is incomparable.  Plainly stated, He steadies my heart. 

It was here, in this encounter this morning, that He gently changed my focus through Kari's song called "We Are."  Let me share a few lines with you, sir:  "Every fear lives inside the dark, but that's not who we are: we are children of the day.  Wake up sleeper, lift your head.  We were meant for more than this: fight the shadows, conquer death, make the most of the time we have left."  This got my blood pumping as I was soon bouncing on my bed, bobbing my head in an emphatic yes, and grinning up at the sky to the One who has no problem shedding light into any shadow of darkness I find myself in.  My time here is precious and I hope to not waste it.  Sir, I'm still not excited about losing any bit of my hair, but I trust the One who has me in the palm of His hand and declares, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways.  As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  Got it.  I don't know what tomorrow's battles will be, but I don't have to... He knows, and even as my heart beats wildly, I choose to trust in His plan.  Bring it, sir.

Yours Truly,
Heid

6 comments:

  1. Heidi one of my best friends is undergoing chemo right now and she lost her hair and shaved what remained of it. At first she was going to make sure no one saw her bald then she started wearing her wig, and she has come to terms with her baldness and so have her family and friends, now she doesn't wear her wig around the house because it bugs her and we are all fine with it. She is beautiful with or w/o hair. So even though this is a bummer I'm sure you have family and friends around you who are there to love and support you through this whole process and ultimately God has a plan for your life. He knew you were going to get this Hodgkin's disease and he will carry you through whatever lies ahead. I think of the Footprints in the Sand poem. When you see only one set it is because he is carrying you. Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you in the least for being frustrated with losing your hair. I would be absolutely devastated as well and I am a guy...a guy who is already losing a lot of it up on top (with no hopes of it coming back). The thought of not having hair might be scary and sad but you know what, if it means getting healthy its a small sacrifice, especially since one day it will all be back! You are a beautiful woman and you'll be beautiful either way because your personality will shine through even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi,

    About three years ago I had brain surgery which led to them shaving my head. I know it isn't the same because it isn't chemo but I understand what it is like to have your hair suddenly gone. I at first spent a lot of time wearing hats in public and I would only take them off when nobody was around I also made sure I wore it when I was going to be around any mirrors otherwise I would break down crying. I even bought a wig but never actually wore it for long periods because it hurt my head to wear. Eventually I started taking the hats off around my family (it can get really warm wearing hats all the time) and things didn't change I wasn't treated any differently (I know it is irrational but for some reason I thought I would be.) Then one time I was shopping and I wanted to see about getting a new hat and I didn't want to go through the process of buying it and then bringing it home to try it on and then having to possibly have to bring it back to the store to return it. So, I looked around to make sure nobody was staring at me and I took off my hat right there in Target. That was the first time I realized that it's okay to have no hair and that the scar just above my forehead (I am now extremely proud of my "battle wound")doesn't make me any less, and that it actually makes me stronger a warrior of sorts. I know it takes time but eventually I'm sure you will find a way to accept it and not let it define you.

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was hard for me to lose my hair too. But I used the opportunity to try a short hairstyle before it fell out, and I liked it. Then I bought a bunch of colorful scarves and wore them instead of wigs. (I couldn't get used to the wigs--they seemed too fake. But many women like them, and look great in them.) The scarves gave me a chance to "express" myself a little, since I am one who doesn't usually wear anything too "noticeable". Since I had to go through it--I thought I'd try to have a little fun with it! My hair grew back fairly quickly, and with a little wave to it that I didn't have before.
    I will pray God will give you peace about it, and the time will pass quickly. Before you know it you'll be rockin' a sweet new hairstyle!
    God bless you Heidi!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of thoughts and prayers with you as you embark on this newest journey on your endeavor. When the time comes - I know that the ACS has a lot of free wigs that you can have. Kirra's godmother went there, and found one that exactly matched her current hair style. Peace, <3 & Happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Heidi, just read your blog for the first time (I've been getting my updates from your dad). Thanks for telling it like it is, make's it easier to pray specifically. Christ is your brother (Hebrews 2) and He is right there, right now, no matter what. He is leading you through these times. Our prayers are always with you! Ken and Tammy Faffler

    ReplyDelete