Sunday, February 12, 2012

Oh, the deeds.

Dear Mr. Hodgkin's,

Tomorrow I start chemo... Gulp.  I don't think I fully grasped this reality until just today when I was asked countless times, "So when does treatment start for you?"  When I would answer, "Actually Monday," to this question of the day, it started to sink in: Whoa... That's tomorrow.  What a bizarre place in life I have found myself in. I was one of those people who thought, "Nah, that could never happen to me. There's no history of cancer whatsoever in my family."  What I have found about you though, sir, is you are quite random.  Meaning the cause of you cannot be boiled down to simply genetics. Even today, there are only theories, mere guesses, why you choose the people you do.  On one hand, it relieves my mind from wondering, "Where did I go wrong? How could I have avoided this?" On the other hand, I can't help but roll my eyes at the poor luck I have that I would be the one randomly selected by you.  It would be easy to inquire, "Why?" (and I am not below posing such a question nor seeking the answer), but there are moments in our lives where we are called to take heart and to take faith. The beauty yet the hardship in these moments are that they cause us to trust in the One who does know why and to trust in the goodness of His character. Because sometimes, my God takes me on adventures and sometimes, they are quite terrifying in which I have no other option but to hold fast in trust.... but I will remember the deeds of the past, because, Mr. Hodgkin's, this is where confidence builds and hope remains - the proof of His faithfulness. 

Yes, remember the deeds. Tonight, with the scary prospect of tomorrow, I am on a hunt to do just that- to choose to remember the goodness He has blessed me with in the past.  As I walked into my bedroom tonight, I paused to look at the pictures decorating the surrounding walls and shelves.  Hmmm, good memories: this is where the quest starts. My eyes first spot the picture of my brother and I leaning on our sister with big grins on our faces as we hold our shovels in one hand and poke at her with our free hand as a blizzard dances around us in our parent's driveway. Standing next to this photo is another 4x6 of me kissing the cheek of my new sis-law the glorious day she became a Stoltz. Then, there's the classic picture of my mission trip to Tijuana as a couple of us holding a jump rope played with the kids while the rest of the team was busy building a retaining wall in the background (I tend to shy away from manual labor... but I mean, prancing around with kids or enduring physical pain? Obvious answer).  There's the precious moment captured when my entire extended family gathered around our dining room table at the Annual Stoltz Brunch, and with our heads bowed together, I see us praying to the God we each know deeply.  Oh, I can't forget the shot taken my freshmen year of college when I am crouched next to my volleyball coach's dog that we kidnapped in the middle of the night (so maybe I am feisty at all times of the day) and spray-painted him with the lovely purple that screams Eagles (oops, now that I think about it, I'm not quite sure if my coach knew exactly who on the team participated. Welp, confession time - I was part of the guilty party! To my defense, I think he thoroughly enjoyed the adventure; his barks possibly even invited it?).  Of course, there's that night when my high school girls and I shoved the heaviest, nastiest leather couch into the back of my Jeep to covertly drop off at one of the guys' house.... for the fourth time yet that summer...which, in the end of the whole brigade, costed him $75 to dump (Did you know it was us, Grant? So sorry, I'll move past the subject before I divulge the other pranks we gleefully committed throughout those years). Rewind further, there's a picture of my dad with his arm around little me as I show off a bold purple cast I got from an aggressive slide into 3rd base during your average game of family baseball.  If I can share one more, sir, the picture of my beautiful mom holding me on her chest as we both laid down for a nap when I was but months introduced into this world (so proud to be their's). 

I have lived a joyful life in these past 23 years, Mr. Hodgkin's, and the photos on the wall are but a quick glimpse into that. Yes, I have seen calamity woven throughout these same years, but more importantly, I have witnessed the Lord's goodness gush through each trial marking a dominant theme. See, you may not view me or my life as important, but I am and my life is to my God.  I don't think you understand the magnitude of His love for me and my life; in fact, the magnitude of His love for any other life that believes in Him.  This perdurable love moved this man, Jesus, to willfully give His life on a cross and took every mistake and sin of mine with Him.  As He hung there, He knew I was His and He knew what would come from His suffering...and the result is what makes this bearable.  By defeating death and rising again soon after, He gave me the choice to live a life worthy with purpose and meaning in His Name.  A life of sin already paid for.  A life now filled with His victorious, freeing presence and His sure promises.  Man, how could I not choose Him, sir?  As you can see, He has a habit of taking something so devastating and using it for something of glory and praise.  I would hate you to miss the parallel I'm trying to make...

Okay, okay, I will return back to our earlier conversation. Yes, tomorrow is coming - no matter how much I loathe the thought and regardless of my wish to blissfully jump back into the carefree past all over again.  But, here is what charges me forward and what arms me with strength: if my God is for me and with me, then what could stand against?  He is greater, stronger, higher than any other.  Even you, mister... Chris Tomlin says so. Well, probably more importantly, Romans 8:31 says so.  Nonetheless, my God's Word and the testimony of many others claims that against you, Mr. Hodgkin's.  Quiver, my friend, for it is the only natural response of those working against my God.

Yours Truly,
Heid

8 comments:

  1. You rock Heidi. We were sorry to miss you today, but know we will be thinking of you especially tomorrow and we and an entire army of people will be praying for you. God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We testify with you Heidi. Blessings, love and loads of prayers from the Otterness Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you today especially Heidi as you start this battle against Mr. Hodgkins. I haven't known you long but your spirit and faith and love for the Lord is so infectious and inspiring. I continue praying for him to bring you peace and strength through this.
    Jamie Tordoff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, I am so proud of you. I watched you yesterday as you recruited for Kid-o-deo workers, your commitment is so strong. I didn't even recongnize that you were the Heidi that I knew from Galilee. You've grown up into such a strong young beautiful woman. After church I was in the car listening to KTIS and heard the song Stronger by Madisa. Throughout the entire song I kept hearing your name. It is indeed a powerful song and our God IS stronger than Mr. Hodgkin's and He intends to walk you through this episode in your life and make you stronger. Your parent's must be so proud of you, I know I would be if you were my daughter! I marvel at your attitude and your faith.
    Shelley Cooksey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heidi, I don't know if you remember me, but you went to school with my daughter, Alyssa, and I worked at your elementary school (still do!). I just caught up on your blog, and was very sorry to hear of your diagnoses. I recently went through 2 battles with cancer; first with colon cancer, then the following year I had breast cancer. I had chemo and radiation for both. Reading through your blog brought tears to my eyes, as it brought back all those emotions you go through those first few weeks.
    I am soooo glad you are walking through this with the Lord at your side. God will never leave your side--not for one second! Cancer is nothing to Him; He allows us to go through the valleys sometimes, but He is ALWAYS in control! While I wouldn't say cancer is a blessing, I feel blessed to have had that time to really lean on the Lord, and I learned to trust in Him more than ever. I spent many sleepless hours just reading through Psalms, and that always calmed my fears and gave me peace.
    I don't know what kind of chemo you are having--if you will lose your hair, or feel sick to your stomach. All I can tell you is take ALL your meds, ON TIME, and if they aren't working, call your oncologists office and they can probably give you something else. Especially for nausea--there are many different nausea meds. You are usually started on a few, but can be given several others until you find what works. The important thing is to call with any weird side effects--and drink TONS of water! :)
    I will be praying for you often. God is hearing all our prayers for you--you have already seen proof of that. Isn't God AMAZING??
    God bless you!
    Tina Korsmoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Heidi, this is sandra from palatka, florida. I heard about your blog from a chain of people. Thank you for sharing your story with "us" about Mr. Hodgkin's. I do not like Mr. Hodgkin's. I was glad you gave him a black eye yesterday...hehe

    When you shouted praises about the staging results and treatment it reminded me of the Exodus story. The people had just come out of bondage.

    Exo 15:11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like thee, glorious in holiness, fearful in praises, doing wonders?

    Exo 15:12 Thou stretchedst out thy right hand, the earth swallowed them.

    Lord, stretch out your right hand and swallow Mr. Hodgkin's. Lord, protect every good cell in Heidi's body. Whisper words of courage and life to Heidi. Father God, we choose Life!

    Deu 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them (aka Mr. Hodgkin's): for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

    Blessings upon you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi
    We have prayed for you in our little Awana group thanks to your cousin Tommy B. We will continue to lift you up and follow your journey through this. I can already see God is growing and stretching you for His glory and your testimony thus far is filled with the power of our awesome God! Thanx for the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Heidi,

    Just checking in with you on how you are feeling. Think of chemo as hills and valleys. Starts out on the hill...then you head down into the valley. The valley times are the worst...but they don't last and you will start climbing the hill.

    Cindy
    ps...God is holding you in those valleys more than any other time.

    ReplyDelete